Bank-funded Water Sector Restructuring Project-2
Uttar Pradesh Water Sector Restructuring Project in 2002 was approved to be completed in four phases with the help of World Bank for the renovation of water sector.
First phase of Uttar Pradesh Water Sector Restructuring Project :-
In the first phase of the four phases determined for the Uttar Pradesh Water Sector Restructuring Project, renovation/ modernization of the canals and drains of Lucknow, Barabanki, Rae Bareilly, Sultanpur, Amethi, Pratapgarh and Jaunpur districts of the state has been completed.
It major description is as follows :
|Project Start Date
|Project completion date
|The original cost of the project (year 2002)
||Rs. 819.31 crore
|Total expenditure in the first phase of the project
||Rs. 735.82 crore
Uttar Pradesh Water Sector Restructuring Project Phase II -
The Phase II of the project has been started on 24.10.2013 and has to be completed till 31.10.2020. The brief description of the Phase II is as follows :
For the Phase II of the project, Tail from 22.98 km of Lower Ganga Canal system, Haidargarh branch and Rohini, Jamni and Sajnam dam canal system has been selected.
Ranganga Setup-Lower Ganga Canal System
- Modernization and renovation of Lower Ganges Canal and branches system of Lower Ganges parallel Feeder Canal like Farrukhabad branch, Beaver branch, Kanpur branch, West Allahabad branch, Fatehpur branch and Bhognipur branch.
- 11.08 Million hectares of area suitable for cultivation.
- 12 districts that would be benefitted are Etah, Ferozabad, Kansganj, Mainpuri, Farrukhabad, Etawah, Kannuaj, Auraiya, Kanpur Dehat, Kanpur city, Fatehpur and Kaushambhi.
Sharda Sahayak Set-up- Haidergarh Branch System (22.98 km from Tail)
- Renovation and modernization work of Haidergarh Branch System (22.98 km from Tail) of Sharda Sahayak command area.
- 0.73 Million hectares of area suitable for cultivation.
- 3 districts that would be benefitted with it are Barabanki, Rae Bareilly and Amethi.
Betwa Set-up-Rohini, Jamni and Sajnam Dam Canal System
- Renovation and modernization work of Rohini, Jamni and Sajnam dam canal system of Bundelkhand area.
- 0.68 Million hectares of area suitable for cultivation.
- 01 district would be benefitted with it that is Lalitpur.
Total fund of Rs. 2835.00 crore has been approved by World Bank for the Phase II of the project. Till now a credit of 70 percent of this fund around Rs. 1984 crore according to the then exchange rate SDR 239-4 Million, (US $ 360 million equivalent), has been accepted by the World Bank. Remaining 30 percent money that is Rs.851 crore is to be borne by the State Government. Due to the increase in the cost of the project as per requirement and other reasons, for approving additional credits the decision for mid-term review was consented.
Provision of Loan from World Bank
For the Phase II of the project, a credit of USD 239.4 million (US Dollars 360 million) has been approved by I.D.A ¼International Development Association½. In I.D.A loan, service charges are taken at the rate of 0.75 percent, additionally maximum commitment charges at a rate of 0.5 percent are payable from Unwithdrawn Financing balance. Along with this, provision of loan is done at a rate of 1.25 percent.
For the Phase II of the project, I.D.A has done a Financing Agreement along with Indian Government on 24.10.2013 in which terms and conditions of the loan, service charges, commitment charges, loan repayment and details of works covering in the project are included. For the execution of this project, on 24.10.2013 a Project Agreement was signed between IDA and Uttar Pradesh State Government which includes terms of execution, procurement procedures and implementation program.
Administrative System for the Phase II of the Project
Project Activity Core Team (PACT) established in Phase I of the project is doing the same work in Phase II of the project. In the Phase II of the project, this team is doing the work of evaluation and monitoring of the entire project, coordination with the World Bank and the work of receiving reimbursement from the World Bank relative to expenses of executing departments / organizations. Similarly, the Executive Committee and the Steering Committee that was set up in the Phase I of the project is also doing the same work in Phase II.
The PACT team is doing the work of evaluation and monitoring of the entire project, coordination with the World Bank and look into the proceedings for receiving the reimbursement of funds from the World Bank. All the work related to irrigation department is conducted by Chief Engineer of respective organization. Similarly, related provisioned works are carried out by Agriculture Department, Groundwater Department, Rural Development Institute, Lucknow and Remote Sensing Application Center, Lucknow.
Details of the physical progress of the Phase II of the project till January month of 2016 are as follows :
- Under the modernization and renovation of Parallel Lower Ganges Canal, the capacity of canal was increased from 4200 cusec to 6480 cusec by completing the ceramic work and was driven from June 2014 by increased discharge.
- In the stated canal, for the lining work tenders has been invited in 10 lots and contract has been signed.
- For the restoration work of Haidergarh Branch System (22.98 km from Tail) under Sharda Sahayak Organization, a contract of Rs.134.66 crore expenses has been signed and work is in progress.
- At Haidergarh branch top, the work of Supplementary Head Regulator has been completed and it is joined with the Haidergarh branch. By the construction of above stated regulator, in the Haidergarh branch the additional 800 cusec of water drainage is carried oyut by the regulator. This additional water is being used in irrigation.
- For the restoration work of Rohini, Jamni , Sajnam dam canal system of Lalitpur district under Betwa organization, a contract of Rs. 165.11 crore has been signed and work is in progress.
- Participatory Irrigation Management ¼ PIM ½% -
- Under this project the work of set up of Water Users' Committees is in progress.
- Pim manual issued by the government in the month of June 2014.
- Notification related to Participatory Irrigation Management Manual has been issued.
- The establishment of Flood Management Information System Centre at the department is under progress.
- Under Swara Organization, contract has been signed with the consultant for basin assessment and developing plan of 8 main basins in the state.
- The work of renovation of headquarters by Chief Engineer Gandak and cross-section work of Rapti River and its tributaries is in progress.
- Under PACT organization, the work of consultancies related to monitoring and quality control is in progress.
- The work of Naraura barrage modernization and installation of automated systems by Interior and Materials Association is in progress.
- For monitoring the groundwater, a 200 Digital Automatic Water level Recoder (DAWLR) has been installed by Groundwater Department after receiving the supply and for supply of 700 DAWLR, work is in progress.
- Demonstrations at the field level by the Department of Agriculture to increase agricultural production are in progress.
- The awareness campaign in the project area by State Rural Development Institute is in progress.
Details of executing organization / department under the project are as follows :
| Organizations of Irrigation Department|
||Chief Engineer, Ramganga, Irrigation Department, U.P, Kanpur.
||Chief Engineer,Betwa, Irrigation Department, U.P, Jhansi.
||Chief Engineer,Sharda Sahayak, Irrigation Department, U.P, Lucknow.
||Chief Engineer,ISO, Irrigation Department, U.P, Lucknow.
||Chief Engineer,PACT, Irrigation Department, U.P, Lucknow.
||Chief Engineer,Swara , Lucknow.
||Chief Engineer, And Director Valmy, Lucknow.
||Chief Engineer,Gandak, Irrigation Department, U.P, Gorakhpur.
||Chief Engineer,Water Resources, Irrigation Department, U.P, Lucknow.
||Chief Engineer,Monitoring & Planning, Irrigation Department, U.P, Lucknow.
||Chief Engineer, Interior and Materials, Irrigation Department, U.P, Lucknow.
||Chief Engineer, Designing, Irrigation Department, U.P, Lucknow.
||Groundwater Department, U.P, Lucknow
||Agriculture Department, U.P, Lucknow
||Remote Sensing Application Centre, Lucknow
||State Rural Development Institute, Lucknow